The following information is for use by the local press to help inform the members of our community about the Central New York Community Foundation. For further information, please contact our Director of Communications, Katrina Crocker, at 315-883-5542 or email@example.com
Established in 1927, the Central New York Community Foundation encourages local philanthropy by supporting the growth of permanent charitable endowments for the betterment of the region. The Community Foundation is the largest charitable foundation in the region with assets of nearly $193 million. It awarded $11 million in grants last year to nonprofit organizations. Since its inception, it has invested nearly $150 million in the community. The Community Foundation serves as the steward of charitable legacies for individuals, families and businesses through the administration of more than 700 funds. The organization also serves as a civic leader, convener and sponsor of special initiatives designed to strengthen local nonprofits and address the region’s most pressing challenges.
What is the Central New York Community Foundation?
A public charitable foundation which receives donations, manages them, and makes grants available to charitable organizations, the Central New York Community Foundation enhances the quality of life for those who live and work within the community by:
- Encouraging the growth of a permanent charitable endowment to meet the community's changing opportunities and needs;
- Providing vehicles for donors with diverse philanthropic interests which make giving easy, personally satisfying and effective;
- Serving as a catalyst, neutral convener and facilitator by stimulating and promoting collaborations among various organizations to accomplish common objectives;
- Carrying out a strategic grantmaking program that is flexible, visionary and inclusive.
The responsibility for managing the Community Foundation’s investment portfolio is vested in the Board of Directors through its Finance Committee. This committee works closely with the Community Foundation’s investment consultant and staff to set policy, establish performance benchmarks and continually monitor the effectiveness of the Community Foundation’s portfolio.
The Committee maintains a disciplined process, regardless of market fluctuations, to ensure the viability of the Community Foundation.
Community Foundation Fiscal Year 2016 Financial Highlights
* Includes Unrestricted, Donor-Advised, Designated, Field-of-Interest, Scholarship, and Deferred Funds.
- A total of $192.6 million in assets was reported as of March 31, 2016.
- 41 new funds* were formed.
- An average 8.1% annual return has been achieved on investments over the past 20 years.
- 2,756 grants totaling more than $11 million were awarded to more than 1,100 nonprofit organizations.
For more details, view our Annual Report
Central New York Community Foundation Logo
Please read our Logo Guidelines
for usage (PDF).