The Central New York Community Foundation
Who We Are
Established in 1927, the Central New York Community Foundation encourages local philanthropy by supporting the growth of permanent charitable endowments for the betterment of the region. The Community Foundation is the largest charitable foundation in the region with assets of nearly $190 million. It awarded $9.9 million in grants last year to nonprofit organizations and since its inception has invested more than $135 million in the community. The Community Foundation serves as the steward of charitable legacies for individuals, families and businesses through the administration of nearly 700 funds. The organization also serves as a civic leader, convener and sponsor of special initiatives designed to strengthen local nonprofits and address the region’s most pressing challenges.
Watch: What is the Central New York Community Foundation?
How We Do It
The Central New York Community Foundation is a tax-exempt public charity that helps people accomplish their philanthropic goals. Our funds are managed professionally and endowed assets grow over time. Three features differentiate the Community Foundation from other forms of organized philanthropy:
- Personalized Service: We help individuals, families and businesses achieve their charitable goals by offering tools and resources that make giving easy, flexible and effective.
- Local Expertise: We have knowledge of the issues, needs and people of Central New York. This helps our donors make their giving as effective as possible and helps us to implement impactful grantmaking programs.
- Community Leadership: We act as a community catalyst, bringing diverse voices and groups together to address issues, foster greater giving and support high impact opportunities.
The Central New York Community Foundation, through the effective use of its endowment, enhances the quality of life for those who live and work in the community by:
- Encouraging the growth of a permanent charitable endowment to meet the community's changing opportunities and needs;
- Providing vehicles for donors with diverse philanthropic interests which make giving easy, personally satisfying and effective;
- Serving as a catalyst, neutral convener and facilitator by stimulating and promoting collaborations among various organizations to accomplish common objectives;
- Carrying out a strategic grantmaking program that is flexible, visionary and inclusive.